Sunday, February 08, 2015

Potluck Reunion and Kun Kings and Queens

My in-laws have only one son and many daughters.  So reunion is always before New Year's Eve as all girls are married except the eldest.  This year, reunion is at our place as mother-in-law is getting on with age and all the daughters advise her not to cook but host outside.  Last year we had it at a Greenland Vegetarian Resturant.  I offered my place and both MIL and FIL took up my offer. 

FIL says it is ok to have non-veg.  So The Wife decided on potluck as our maid is not that competent.  Baby SIL made braised beef and tendons.  Third sister's husband is a stay-at home dad cooked sambal prawns.  MIL cooked a few veg dishes and made a gigantic yusheng with vegetarian abalone.  My wife cooked her signature braised mushrooms and vegetarian soup.  Our maid cooked coined tofu in mushroom sauce.  We also heat up black pepper duck breasts and it is very popular.  B2 and B1 bbq the veg satay. 

We had a good time kidding each other about our secret recipes and cooking skills.  Then the adults gather to talk while FIL take a nap on our sofa.  Then baby SIL's husband also falls asleep on the sofa.  After my FIL woke up, his son took over his place to sleep.

My in-law's family motto is "Sleep".  All my sister-in-laws always nap when I was courting my wife.  After we were married, her sisters and brother who stayed with us from 1 week to a couple of years have the same behaviour.  The need to nap in the afternoon.  B2 was looked after by maternal grandma and he took has the desire to nap when he was growing up.  When one grandson came to his mother to complain about no chance to play on iPad as his older brother was hogging it.  Po Po says he must be asking mummy if he can sleep.  It is very interesting the sleeping and napping is so ingrained that even as adults my in-laws are still sleeping wherever they are.

No comments: