Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Coin Operated Laundry

My wife is fastidious.  We are without maid for a couple of weeks but she insist on vaccuuming and cleaning up the house, doing the laundry as well as working.  So her hobby is sacrificed.  I thought since no maid, we do not need to wash the bedsheets as often but no, she took out all the bedsheets and pillow slips totalling almost 12kgs.  We went to a coin operated laundry to wash.  It is pretty interesting business model.  Five washing machines and 4 dryers.  Opened 24 hours since it is like a reverse ATM where you put money in.  It worked pretty well actually.  So I thought of setting one up myself.  I am not sure if it is profitable.  But the owner came by to check and we chat her up.  She collects the money and then check on the detergents.  So it looked like a pretty easy way to make money.  Using a industrial washer and dryer, the whole process is about one hour fifteen minutes.  Pretty good compared to domestic washing usually take up to two hours to wash and another two hours to dry.

With today's experience however, The Wife decided to cut a deal with Harvey Norman and we bought a 13 kg LG washing machine and an obsolete dryer for a bargain price.  We bought additional 3 years warranty which cost use another $240.  Working for Radio Shack in Canada, I know the additional warranty is pure profit.  However, since my washing machine are used my our domestic help who abuse all our machine, I thought it is good to get guaranteed use for 5 years.

No comments: