Saturday, July 12, 2014

Downtown Melbourne

It is enjoyable just to walk about town.  The only problem is the cold weather.  It is deep winter now.  So the rain comes and go very often.  I tried to look for bbq meat featured in the magazine.  I reached the place and found it is not open for food.  I was there at 5pm and it is open for drinks only and will have food only at 6pm.  So I was disappointed.

I walked to Chinatown and have Thai food for dinner instead.  I have a great time not doing much.  I just need to read more instead of working and surfing the net.  Melbourne is a University Town.  University of Melbourne, RMIT and University of Victoria are the 3 universities I see while walking.  This morning, I had brunch in Vietnamese pho.  Sitting on the next table is mother and daughter.  Mother speaks Singlish, so I asked the daughter if they are from Singapore.  She points to her mum and says she is.  We chat a little.  She misses the char kuay teow, tao suan and all the hawker favorites.  She did not like the cold.  I share a little with my background and why I was in Melbourne, when I am leaving etc.  I asked what do you do for the weekend.  She says she is going to Victoria market.  I asked what is it.  It is like a flea market.  She says they can walk but will take the tram instead.

Since I have some time to spend, I decided to walk there to find out.  Victoria market is Farmer's market and a flea market.  The fresh meat cuts, the wide range of cheeses and fish fillets.  This is a section for organic vegetables beside the regular vegetables.  Then the flea market has clothing and souvenirs.  I like this place.  I can do my weekly groceries here.  The meat looked very fresh.  Prices are very reasonable.  Only thing is there will not be enough to do our Singapore style cooking like laksa or char kuay teow.  It will be nice to live in Melbourne for a year or two.

No comments: