Saturday, April 12, 2014

Super Expensive Lunch in Keong Siak Street

I decided to eat the wanton noodle in Keong Siak Street.  The queue was incredibly long.  So I walk around to look at the alternatives.  Further down the street, there is a Nonya food stall.  It is not as busy and the food on display looks appealling.  I had rice with curry chicken, beef rendang and sayur lodeh.  The cost of the plate?  $9.50!  I was shocked by the high price for chap chye png albeit nonya style cooking.  So I asked for the details.  The China told me beef is $4, curry chicken is $3.50 instead of usual $4 since I have two meats and sayur lodeh and rice is $1 each.  Eating this self service hawker stall at resturant price is incredible.

This afternoon lunch at Waterloo hawker center, three nasi lemak, one ayam penyet with sayur lodeh and two pieces of beef rendang cost $19.  Less than half the price of equivalent food in Keong Siak Street.  I wonder those who patronise the Nonya stall must be very willing to pay high price for lunch.  Now wonder the queue is so long that the wanton mee stall.  It tastes so good and price is at $3.50 per plate. 

No comments: