Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Change in my Information Inputs

The trend of getting information from internet is impacting my reading behaviour.  I no longer read print as often or as much.  Newspapers do not hold my attention like before.  Maybe the slant is making me cynical.  I am also reading less books.  Audiobooks are replacing the printed version.  With Note 3, I don't even need to bring my laptop for short trips. 

I remember going to business center every time I checked into a hotel when travelling for work.  I will need to get messages and faxes.  That become obsolete when we started carrying laptops and internet readily available in the hotel.  Internet access was expensive at $30 to $50 per day.  Today, most hotels provide internet access for free or include in the room charges.   With phabets, it may be a matter of time laptops become obsolete as well. 

So written messages and printed faxes make way for information through laptop computers.  Reading different websites give me the information I needs and forms my opinion.  I am glad to get more alternative views rather than what the mass media like daily newspapers tell me to believe in.  Newspapers always criticise the internet for non-factual reports.  I think it is fear of losing their relevance.  When we believe in printed news, we are right as they are a credible source the newspapers claim.  This is self serving and grasping at all means to retain their power.  So in a way the internet level the playing field for the small guys whose voices can now be heard.

Does this make the world a better place?  This is the future we will find out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Internet is the way to go buddy!

BookLover said...

No kidding, my friend. Thanks for dropping by!

BookLover said...

No kidding, my friend. Thanks for dropping by!