Saturday, May 25, 2013

Giving Lift

This morning, I went to Beste in Tagore Lane to collect my repaired water floss.  The pump was damaged after not used for a few months.  The toothbrush battery is also dead but irreparable.  I have to "trade-in". Total cost of repair and replacement is $138 plus $10 inspection fee.  This is half the price of a new set which cost $299.

On the way back, another lady who bought the part for a blender asked if I drive.  When I affirmed her question, she asked if I could give her a lift out to the main road.  I asked where she is going and she say to the nearest MRT station.  It is only my way anyway, so I gave her a longer ride.  We chat on our kids.  She has only one son who is 28 and studying in UK.  Her son did not do well academically in school when he was young.  He was bullied by Malays in St Patrick.  The army stint changed him.  Today, he has first class honours in IT and now going for Masters.  His mum is so happy and proud now. 

This lady speaks very well with trace of British accent.  She works for BG or British Gas.  It is all about natural gas now.  I noticed right away how well she speaks.  She noticed about me too.  She says you speak well.  Do you do your own business?  I replied that I am working for an American company.  It is interesting as my Singlish accent is quite strong.  I noticed we both speak in complete sentences without any local words. 

This is a chance encounter.  I happened to go back to the counter after reaching ground floor.  I noticed $10 inspection fee is supposed to be deducted but was not reflected.  I went back to check and found that service fee is supposed to be $15 and I was charged $5 instead.  So it is fine.  Because I walked back to the service counter, I gave this nice lady a ride to the MRT station.  Life is sometime a series of small encounter like this.

No comments: