Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Good Strategy Bad Strategy

As I listen to this book, I am inspired to read case study.  I actually paused writing and go to my library to look at the Strategy textbooks I have on the shelf.  I have two - Strategic Management by Mark C Baetz and Business Policy by Joseph Bower.  I looked through the content pages of Strategic Management and no it is not there.  Amazingly, the Crown Cork and Seal is one of the first cases in the text.  The case is as described in the book Good Strategy Bad Strategy.  After reading the case, I look at first page.  I signed the first page and put in the date I bought the book and price if there is no price tag.  I bought this textbook on  16 Sep 1997.  Amazingly, the book cost only $36.50.  It was very costly at the time I bought it.  Today, it looked like a really good buy!!! 

I like this book.  Good Strategy is not about goals or some mumbo jumbo.  What the author describes about what typical company says is their strategy is so true like my previous company.  It is a $16 billion in sales.  It is so true about all the things this company says and do.  The author professor sounds like he is describing my previous company.  It is so funny.  But hey, it is still around and kicking.  So while the professor is right, there is really nothing anyone can do about.

No comments: