Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thinking about Death and Mortality

With my brother and father-in-law just did their open heart surgeries.  I suspect my coronary arteries are probably clogged.  I can feel the pain and always attribute it to muscle strain.  I am always in denial when it comes to the affairs of my heart.  Luckily, my wife insisted on buy health insurance even though I was covered when I was employed.  Now, with no employer's coverage, I need not go for checkup to qualify for insurance.  My wife does have foresight and always prepares for uncertain future.

I have been thinking too that in order not to drain family's finances, if it is time for me to leave this world, I like to leave quickly and with minimal fuss and costs.  Everyone of us have to die the moment we are born.  Where there is life, there is death.  Death is a taboo subject.  No one like to think or discuss our mortality.  Everyday is a blessing and I am enjoying my life, work and family.

Many a times, I try to imagine, after I transition from my physical existence on Earth and go to the Hall of Memories to review the life I just left behind, what accomplishments do I have.  I have not save any life or done any heroic act that is news worthy.  I just lead an ordinary life, with an ordinary career, have an ordinary family and an ordinary lifestyle.  "Ordinary" is the key word and I worry I have to be reincarnated to Earth again.  The cycle of rebirth and karma will continue.  I wish I meditate and able to move to a higher plane of existence.

Footnote:  Many of the terminology I used in this essay is from Lobsang Rampa.

No comments: