Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Daughters

My father-in-law is schedule to be discharge tomorrow.  He will have his sutures removed as well.  We are wandering how to deal with the cost of the operation.  The siblings share equally?  It is a loaded discussion and potentially emotional.  I wonder how my wife will deal with this.  How her siblings will react?  Would they volunteer to pay.  So far I know two sisters have agreed to pay part of the bills.  The youngest sister seems reluctant and avoid discussing the issue.  I have no idea what the only son's position is.

I also read somewhere that research found that the highest medical expense a person has is in the final year of his life.  Since my FIL has a few more years, I guess the high medical cost this time may be just the beginning.

Based on what I know so far, the 3 eldest daughters have promised to pay for the cost.  While it is not 100%, I can see what daughters will do.  My wife has been bringing her father to the clinics.  She also make sure he get the right medical care and asked all the right questions to make informed decisions.  The eldest and 3rd daughters took a day leave and accompany their mother.  My mother-in-law is incredible.  She is in the hospital all day long.  She has been in the hospital everyday since two Wednesdays ago.  She just keep going and going, a steadfast partner for my father-in-law. 

The baby sister-in-law visits frequently too.  Sons are not so caring.  I also do not visit my mother often or talk to her.  I believe my brother-in-law will be like me.  Although I may be totally wrong about him.

Looking at what happen in the couple of weeks that passed, I wished I have at least a daughter.  Granted not all daughters will be filial.  The chance is a lot higher than sons.  My mother stays with her daughter when she is here.  All her daughters will visit her everyday.  Meanwhile, I only visit her twice or maybe three times in the two months that she was here.

I wonder if my boys will be as caring when I need to be cared for.  Only time will tell...

No comments: