Thursday, December 02, 2010

Freezing Seoul and...Business as Usual

Seoul is a huge city. I hardly explore this city as I am not the explorer type. I will check into my hotel, get to work, check out and then go home. This time, my favorite resturant, Outback is no longer at it usual place. Actually, the whole row of resturants are gone and an open air carpark lot is there instead. It is quite unusual that revenue producing rental properties are converted to a carpark lot. Maybe this is temporary as it is in a premium highrise land scare Seoul. Probably some developer has bought the land and need time to develop into a skyscraper.
While we get all the alarming news on the conflict with North Korea and tv news on the bombing as well military exercises, Seoul is business as usual. Everything seems normal. The shops and resturants are doing their usual business. Kids are going to school, everyone who are working work!
The facade of normality may be shattered if war is declared. So we must always be vigilant and careful. Korea is a peninsula and if really something to the airport, the only escape is via a seaport. I shudder to think of such thoughts.

No comments: