Saturday, March 01, 2008

In a Chaotic situation, people will self-regulate

When pressure gets high, workload increased like crazy and then the office starts breaking down... the result is chaos. "In a chaotic situation, people will self-regulate." pronounced my wife in the car on our way to lunch. In her opinion, a properly trained accountant will follow systems and processes, exercise self control and carry out instructions. Accountants have the advantage of understanding the broader picture. Unlike Business Admin grad who are trained on "no worries, if there is a chaotic situation, self-regulation will occur".
This morning, I drove to Riverside Plaza in Sengkang. The multi-storey carpark have a very small turning circle going up. There are two foodcourts - Kopitiam and Koufu right opposite each other. The foodstalls are busy and food choices are the traditional hawker food. The decor in Koufu is newer and cleaner. The food stall in Kopitiam offers more nostalgia with more rundown furniture, lower prices and comfort food like chee cheong fun. I go to Kopitiam to bring myself back to growing up days. After breakfast and morning read, it is time to drive home. It is raining and cars are coming into the car parks. I get out of my car park lot and start to drive down.
Cars were getting out at the same time as me. After going two levels down, I was stuck and waited patiently. After sometime, I realise we have not moved, so I turn up my favourite station FM90.5. A few minutes later and impatient horning, it is dawn to me that we are caught in a deadly embrace. Cars going up the car parks are blocked by cars going down because the circle is too small to accomodate both directions. I got out of my car to figure out where the constipation is. There were two other drivers like me when around and start moving the cars to get rid of the obstruction. We advise the cars going into the carpark to clear the way for cars getting out. Giving them instructions to put the car in the right position so that traffic and flow again. One driver ask a yellow car who is coming in to block all incoming cars. I get into my car to move out once my path is clear.
Yes, my wife is right, in a chaotic situation there will be people who will come out of their comfortable driver seats and unravel the traffic jam.

No comments: