Thursday, September 13, 2007

Falls off the Bones Ribs

Finally, I managed to go and eat Flame grilled falls off the bones ribs at Racks. Racks was my favourite resturant in Philippines when I was responsible for Philippines as a Country Manager. I travelled there every two months and lived in one of the two hotels beside SM Megamall. I know I always gained weight everytime because I will have dinner at Racks by myself.

Racks used to be a chain and had franchisee resturant as well. It has falled on hard times and currently there is only on resturant in St. Francis Square, Pasig City. I loved the food so much that I wanted to bring the resturant to Singapore. I called the owner and make an appointment to meet with him. He is a Chinese Philippino and is quite rich. He had a General Manager who was in the meeting as well. They want S$1 million for franchise fee and I have to set up the resturant by myself and do research for them on the price of port and cost of setting up a commissary. I was young and do not have the money. More importantly, I feel they are greedy and want me to do all the work and give money to them. At no time did they talk about how to help me set up the resturant. My wife reactions went I come home to tell her about my meeting was for a million dollars we can setup a few resturants ourselves and test out all the recipes ourselves. So I dropped the idea.

I have been back to Philippines a few times in the last few years and had no chance to find out about Racks. Finally, I met someone who know this resturant yesterday. The sad news is there is only one resturant now. I am not surprised as the owner was too greedy and the chain did not succeed. The food was good and I love it. Tony Romas, my other ribs resturant is still doing well.

No comments: