Saturday, May 19, 2007

The New Business Class SQ Brags about...

On the way to Seoul, it was the new B777 aircraft fitted with the new Business Class Singapore Airlines has been crowing about and advertising aggressively. The seat can be folded down into a flat and HORIZONTAL bed. The previous long distance biz class seat can unfold to a flat bed but it is inclined at an angle. So it possible to slide down while you sleep.

The configuration take up more space and is like a little cubicle. The window seat is in a single row and two seats in the middle. So it is four seats abreast. It offers plenty of privacy to the point where it create a cold and unfriendly environment for passengers to talk or interact. The rectangular profile of the seat makes it quite uncomfortable to sit. However the wider space allows me to seat crossed legs in half lotus. So it is good for budding meditator like me.

To transform the seat into a bed, you have to get out of the seat and fold down like the seats in a station wagon or minivan. There is not enough legroom for tall guys like me. I have to sleep diagonally across and stick my feet into a small recessed area of the seat in front of me.

I think back of the first time I experience the flat bed. Like this time, it was very novel. Unlike this time, I had very positive feel about the change. I like it that I do not need to get up to convert the seat in a flat bed. It can be done with a push of the button. The current flat bed version has a good balance between privacy and interaction between passengers. The biggest issue with the current inclined flat bed is the table is too close to the thighs and it is possible to spill food and drinks if you accidentally pressed the wrong buttons.

I have mixed feeling about this new business class seats. Over time, I may fall in love with it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BL...This blog is informative.Thanks.
BT :)

Anonymous said...

It felt good to share my experience. Thanks BT!
BL