Friday, February 23, 2007

Tasty Fishes

The tide is receding. The water is about 1 foot deep. Three foreign workers were fishing at the canal. One can speak English well. "Mayanmar?" I asked. "Yes" he replied cheerfully. Friendly guy. "Are you a contruction worker?" I probe a little. "No, I am a painter" he says and turn his back towards me to show me the name of the company on the t-shirt. "Nippon Paint" in bold, bright red letters. He was carrying a white pail that contains about 20 fishes. The sizes of the fish is quite small about 4 to 5 inches long. There is one reasonable size fish. Reasonable size is like those we can buy in the wet market. I will venture to guess the fish is about the size of a large promfret.

He seems to like the fish. "Taste good, very good" when I asked if they are really going to eat the fishes they caught. Cast net is the way they fish. The guy who cast is an expert. The net will spread out in a circle, land on the water and sink trapping any fish caught within the circumference. There are lot of fishes, the problem is it is too rocky and the fish escapes.

I may try fishing with a rod next time during high tide:)

No comments: