Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hokkien Songs

I was killing time in Punggol Mall before reunion dinner. Stalls in the hall were selling the new year goodies. Hokkien songs were baring out loudly from the CD stall. Growing up in a right beside a wet market and hawker centre, it is nostalgia time. I like the songs. My wife, a refined Cantonese, dislike this kind of songs. She feels that they are crude or sad. I enjoyed listening to the "low class" music. First, I swear allegiance to my dialect group. Next, it reminds me of my childhood and growing up days. I admit some songs are melancholic. However, it is a sweeping judgement to conclude Hokkien songs are either sad or crude. We agree to disagree on this issue.

I spent lots of time at the stall listening and browsing. I hinted to The Wife that if I buy the CDS, I am afraid she may not like it. Silence. Finally I go off to the electrical cum plumbing store to buy hose to fix the shower. On the way back, I asks for permission again. Surprisingly, she says if you like it go ahead. The thrill was refreshing. My heart sings out Hokkien songs right away. Now I am listening to the songs as I write this blog. Mmm, this is great atmosphere.

No comments: