Sunday, March 11, 2018

Home made Yakitori

Last night, my eldest sister came to visit and I invited her for dinner.  I was preparing to cook yakitori.  Early in the morning, I bought a large naked neck chicken.  I deboned the chicken following the youtube video on 1 Michellin star yakitori resturant in San Francisco.  I am quite happy with the results.

I made quite big sticks and my meat pieces are in big chunks.  So it is harder to grill.  I also follow the Japanese way i.e. no seasoning, only salt during grilling.  When the chicken is about cooked, apply the teriyaki sauce.  I managed to reproduce the smoky chargrilled taste and it is so similar to those in a yakitori resturant rather than the Tori-Q which is very sweet and heavily flavored.

It is the first time I used the portable high heat torch to light the charcoal and while disengaging the torch from butane cannister, I burned my pinkie.  Now I am sporting a huge blister.  I will need to pay attention when dealing with high temperature metal devices.

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Congrats BL for successfully cooked the yakitori chicken..it is quite a feat actually :)

BookLover said...

Thanks, BL. I feel pretty good about it. It takes time to learn and the Japanese cookbook, videos and most important a charcoal stove. I am lucky to be able to do outdoor cooking.