Friday, October 30, 2015

Seletar Mall's Death Trap

It was an usual evening.  After my usual homecook dinner, I go to Seletar Mall to buy some light grocery like bread and in general taking a nice walk.  At about 9:45pm while I was in NTUC Fairprice the fire alarms sounded.  The announcement came on immediately and there is a fire alarm and they are investigating into the fire alarms.  A min later, the announcement came on and say it is a false alarm. 

All the shoppers like me did not bother and continue with their shopping.  I paid for my grocery and took the escalator up.  This is my first surprise.  The shutters came down and block my way.  Then I have to look for another way out.  I found the travellator is still going and so took it.  Before I reached level 1, the exit is also shuttered.  I had a shock thinking I will be trapped once I reached the top.  Luckily, the side door is open.  However, there is no sign to say there is a side door and it is hidden from view.

The safety mechanism of the mall is dangerous.  If it is a real fire, the electricity will trip and if all the exits are shuttered and no lights, the shoppers in a panic state had to look for the fire escape which are small and in locations that is unfamilar to someone like me who had been to the Seletar Mall many times is scary.  I said this is the most effective death trap and SPH and the Seletar Mall Management has to do corrective action.

The usual way to get in and out of the mall which all shoppers are familar is gone and in chaotic situation and panic will set in and basically the people in Basement Level 3 will be expose to extreme risks.  Since this is a false alarm, it is inconvenient.  The incident highlight the weakness of the safety system that intend to prevent fire from spreading by trapping and preventing people from escaping the only way they know getting in and out of the mall.

No comments: