Saturday, December 28, 2013

Transitioning.Org

I was up early and wandering what to do.  I had to start up my computer to get some work done.  Since I am at my desk, I thought the best way to pass time is to surf the net.  TREmeritius is one of my regular sites to visit and read.  Gilbert Goh is a famous personality in the blogsphere.  He recently wrote about lonely people needing even more support during Christmas and other festive seasons.  He had 19 years of family gathering and when he organised a gathering for lonely people with no family for Christmas get together, he did not expect much.  But very surprised to have 37 showed up.  A number of divorcees as well.  It is very difficult to pass time alone during festive seasons where everyone else is meeting with family and friends.  Family and friends are two of the four key factors to Happiness.

Gilbert also start up a website Transitioning.Org for jobless.  There are plenty of sad stories in the letters.  Many PMETs are in dire straits when they are out of jobs.  So many of them are degree holders.  I think there is a misconception that degree is a passport to good and stable jobs.  A lot of the stories I read states clearly their academic qualifications and job experience.  Very few write about their job performance.  In the workplace, performance is the basic and essential requirement to getting promoted or staying in the job.

My heart do go out to all desperate jobless.  Gilbert is acquiring lots of good karma for his work.  Kudos to him!

No comments: