Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Warm Neighbourhood

I loved going to Chong Pang.  I used to live in Yishun and directly opposite Chong Pang was a Malay Kampong.  Small Malay boys will be walking their goats.  There is a small pond.  Life was idyllic.  Unfortunately, they were chased out and the kampong is now part of Sembawang Airbase for helicopter.  I have not been the the hot spring as well.  It is a long way to walk.  There are folks there soaking in the hot water.  Some will bring eggs to cook as well.

Recently, I go to Chong Pang once a week to get my grocery.  The vegetables there is competitive.  I find the people there are warmer.  Strangers make conversations easily.  I like the kampong-like spirit there.  The famous Hup Lee Fried Beehoon is no longer as popular.  The long queues are gone.  The aquariums are gone too.  But some of the old hawkers are still there.  The atmosphere in Chong Pang is warm compared to AMK Ave 10 hawker center near ITE.  Although I go the AMK hawker center almost daily, I did not have any conversation with anyone.  Whereas in Chong Pang, the chance is very high I have a causal conversation with a fellow customer.

No comments: