Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Selling and Sales Work

My middle niece quit her backend bank job to join an insurance broker to sell insurance.  I am a little worried for her as selling insurance in my opinion is a very tough job.  The attrition rate is very high.  A few are very successful but most do not earn enough to make a decent living.  Her boyfriend is going to work for a bank selling insurance as well.  So both have jump in but my niece is in the deep end.  The boyfriend is in a big 3 local bank, so is quite secured.

Selling is extreme challenge especially doing cold calls.  The rejection rate is extremely high.  The movie The Pursuit of Happyness protray the selling profession well.  It is a numbers game.  The more calls you made, the higher the chance of getting a yes.  Finally, protagonist won the job and then start his own brokerage firm, become a millionaire several times over and met Nelson Mandela.  It is sheer grit and stamina couple with the strong desire to get rich. 

As an uncle, I can only watch from a distance.  After dinner with the 3 nieces, my wife had a comment "their mother brought them up well".  I am in total agreement.  My nieces are responsible and mature.  They value education and thrift.  They are well adjusted and we enjoyed their company.  I am happy to meet them regularly for meals.  It is good bonding time for all of us.

No comments: