Monday, July 01, 2013

Difference Between Reading Fiction and Non-Fiction

First, it was audio booksand then the physical books.  I have not read fiction for many years.  Recently, I caught the thriller bug.  David Baldacci writes thrillers.  It is hard to put down the books when the story becomes addictive.  It is nice to have a fiction on hand to read when queuing for purchases like hawker centers or at the supermarket.  Usually, I have trouble finishing non fiction books especially heavy duty subjects like Leadership, Psychology or English. 

Fiction is very exciting and it is important to know the ending.  Whereas non-fiction usually do not have a thrilling finish.  Just a summary of what the book is about.  I like "digest" version or summary of business books.  The idea is expounded in a few pages rather than a few hundred pages.

Reading fiction is pleasurable.  There is no thinking required, just let the story flow with every turn of the page.  I have to absorb the ideas and reflect on what I learn reading non-fiction.  It is enjoyable because I also loved to teach.  So knowledge acquisition for its own sake is actually fun to me.

Now that I compared the two types of reading, I like both for different reasons.

No comments: