Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sao Bing, Youtiao and Tou Nai

This morning my ex-colleague and friend brought to me eat the famous place for soya milk, oven-baked (like tandoor) sao bing and youtiao.  The queue is quite long and the place is quite popular.  The soya milk is thick and flavourful.  Not too sweet.  The youtiao and fried omelette is stuffed into the sao bing.  Sao bing just layered wheat bread.  The meal is quite filling.  I guess Taiwanese really like the sao bing. 

It is interesting to immerse in the local culture.  I enjoyed the conversation and the "kopitiam" style place.  It is original and authentic.  My friend is very warm and nice to wake up early to bring me for local breakfast. 

After breakfast and dealing my work emails, I was feeling bored and thought I will go to the mall to kill time but the shops open only at 11am.  So I decided to write and then get ready to check out and get to the airport.

Frankly, I am quite at home in Taiwan as plenty of mandarin and hokkien are spoken.  I grew up speaking on hokkien, so this is really comfortable like going back to "lao jia" old hometown.

No comments: