Monday, October 08, 2012

Experiment with Hydroponics

I was cleaning out my water pump for my fish pond.  It get clogged up really quickly due to the feces from the fishes.  I had goldfishes and an arowana.  The arowana grows fast eating up the small goldfishes and poos a lot!  I read that one winner of green innovation uses water hyacinth to clean up water from the pond and absorbing dangerous chemicals like selenium.  On a past article in Life section of Straits Times, I also remember there is a vegetable seed supplier in North Canal Road.  I decided to kill two birds with one stone - grow vegetable using the fish waste for fertiliser and cleanse the water pond with plants.  I bought the easiest to grow vegetable.  According to the seed seller, it is kangkong and red spinach.  I bought some of kangkong seeds.  The man scoop out seeds from a glass container into a small ziploc plastic bag.  Cost two dollars!  It is a lot compared to pre-pack seeds in the supermarket or nursery.  

I hope I get some success in kangkong growing.  I have to set up the water pump to pump up the water from the pond to the soil container for the kangkong.  Wish me luck!

No comments: