Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Walking Around

I get even get the directions right.  I asked how to go to the mall and when I walked out, I went the opposite direction.  What a boo boo!  I felt like an idiot.  Anyway, I had a good walk and saw a lot of the suburbs and the houses in Brisbane. 

I did get to the downtown finally and explore Queens Mall.  Plenty of immigrants from different countries.  Even my meeting with the office, one is a Syrian, the other has a Dutch father and Indonesian Chinese mother.  The third is an American.  The 7-eleven is staff by a Nepalese.  The receptionist in the hotel is from Lithuania.  It is like Singapore in a certain way i.e. full of immigrants.  Yet different as there is no large crowd of say ethnic Chinese or Nepalese.  They are dispersed evenly throughout the city.

The city shutdowns by 5:30pm.  The downtown basically become a ghost town.  In fact, the whole city just become quiet.  Only a few resturants here and there are open.
It is quite different.  I guess family spends lots of time together as there are plenty of off hours time vs life in Singapore where we have to keep working from kids with tuition and homework and adults who have to work non-stop to earn more money to maintain an increasingly expensive Singapore.

No comments: