Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Reading Diet Change

I have been reading Kishore Mahbubani recently. He gave me a huge historical perspective of US, Europe and Islam. He has a well thought out reasoning and used published articles to support his arguments.

I am apathetic when it come to politics which Kishore is as a Professor in LKY School of Public Policy. Hence, I ignored his books for the longest time. It is the interview by BBC in the internet that intrigued me enough to finally read his books. It open up a totally new world to me. A global perspective and history of some of current issues facing the world today.

The thing about learning and knowledge which is also my greatest regret is it does not translate into financial gains or increase earning power. Still the joy of learning is always with me. I always remember the advice from Mr. Shudt, the Managing Director of a German Optical Company in 1983. I was a greenhorn repair technician working for Microage Computer in Beach Road. Mr. Shudt is a balding and quite senior (old to a young man like me!). I asked him how to get to his current position.

His advice to me was "Just learn and keep on learning. Do not worry if what you are learning is not relevant to your current job. One day when you need it, it will be there."

I am still heeding his advice.

No comments: