Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lost Swamp

I missed the swamp and the tides. I am referring to Punggol reservoir. Now that it is a freshwater reservoir, the mangroves trees are dying. The crabs are gone and so are the clams and other brackish water fishes or sea fishes. I like to see the water level sometimes high and sometimes low. When it is low, the muddy banks are fully of life scuttling all over(baby crabs). If it is raining, mud skippers will be all over the muddy bank. Plenty of fish fry all the shallow water. It was easy to catch them to feed my goldfishes. Now there are not so many frys at the bank anymore.

I love the sea life that used to come in. Once there were a lot of jellyfish and another time a sea cucumber was trapped in a small rock pool. Now it is just fresh water and after the rain, it is brown with mud and lots of debris, twigs and dead leaves.

My boys no longer have the chance to get nature at its natural best. It is only man-made floating platform and a large mangosteen rest stop.

No comments: