Sunday, February 20, 2011

Possible Death of Borders

It will be a sad day when Borders closed down in Singapore. Fiona Chan wrote in Sunday Times on Borders as her place of romance and after breaking up with her boyfriend for a year and a half, it is the site where they made up. Now they are married. I loved books. But I met my wife in Baskin Robbins. The Ice-Cream Palace with a choice 32 flavours on display at any one time. Being a booklover and one who frequent libraries and bookstores, alas I do not have the romantic fantasy in a bookstore. Borders did bring a new shopping experience with a great breadth of selection of titles. It is a totally new paradigm from MPH, the premier and flagship of bookstore since my school days.
While Borders was innovative in its time, Kinokuniya now overshadows it with even more extensive titles and bringing in loads of new titles all the time. I will be sad if Borders close shop. It is the closing of a chapter.

No comments: