Monday, February 21, 2011

Business as Usual in Bangkok

Life is normal in Bangkok. I am staying in a hotel right next the building that was burned. The area is under contruction and there are no sign of the protest or violent that ensued a year ago. The makeshift stalls on the roadside, hawkers selling street food and tourists milling around are clear indication that economy is chugging away. Resilent is the word that come to my mind as I drink in the sight, sound and smell. Thais are very resilent and cope well with change and aversity. This may be a result of their Buddhist philosophy and way of living.
I love the food here and ate too much during lunch. So I try to skip dinner. Guess what? I ate junk food at half past ten or 11:30pm, cashew nuts, potato chips and chocolate chip cookies. The book I am currently reading, Counter Clockwise by Ellen Langer says that it may be due to genes. So I really can't help myself. Then continues to point out other studies that also indicates 30 other possible causes of overweight. I love to eat too much and this is shortening my life! Okinawa diet means staying hungry all the time. It is well known fact now that Okinawa diet extend lifespan. Maybe my happiness with my life with counteract my joy of food.

No comments: