Saturday, February 05, 2011

My Brother

My brother invited all of us to go to his house today. It is the first time for my boys to visit the house I grew up in. It is a tiny 3 room flat that house 5 kids and two adults. The estate has undergone upgrading and the environment as changed. There are two lifts and one lift go to every level. This is one of the first HDB estate. My parent bought the flat in 1963 and we move in 1965. In two years, flat will be 50 years old which is half the life of 99 years lease. There is a lot of history in the flat. I got married and live there before relocating to Canada. My brother moved in after I left. All my matrimonial furniture - the cupboard, the dressing table, the bed frame are still used by my brother. It is incredible that furniture lasted till today. They are more than 23 years old and still going strong!
This is the first time my brother invited us over and all the siblings came over to visit. He was the black sheep of the family but this time he is hospitable and gracious. I can see that he is extremely happy to host us and introduced us to his three daughters repeatedly. When we are leaving, he booked us to visit again on day 3 next year.

No comments: