Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reflections on my week in US

Writing is a good way to occupy myself while waiting for my flight. Right now I am in the lounge in Los Angeles Airport. I am making good use of the couple hours of dead time.
The Barnes and Noble is a disappointment. The books are selection are less then Borders or Kinokuniya in Singapore. Many old books on bargain price. The wind of change has happened. Asia is the happening place. I recalled when I first visited US in 1984, I spent hours at the bookstore. The selection was enormous. At that time, MPH was the flagship bookstore and has only tiny fraction of what Barnes and Noble or Borders offers. I was also amazed and impressed by all the English books on Buddhism, Oriental philosophy that were not available in Singapore. Today, quite clearly US is behind in the book retail business.
Even drinking Starbucks coffee is so much cheaper here than at home. It is really fun to travel when exchange rate is in our favor. The cost of lodging plus car for my trip here per day is actually lower than just the hotel cost in the cities of Asia. It is not an apple to apple comparison. Atlanta is not a top tier city like New York, Seoul, Shanghai or Tokyo. Still the balance definitely tilt to Asia.
I must say the security checks flow has improved a lot since I was last here maybe 5 years ago. The queues are not as long and the flow is relatively good although is not as efficient as those in Asia. Airports in China move a lot more people and at a much faster rate. Hey! it is still the first world compared the India's airports. The mood is also more relaxed and competent. After 9/11, America is just in a state of hysteria.
I am not sure if I am going to be back here again. The plan right now is Germany in October. Travelling 17hours is far better than 28hours.

No comments: