Friday, April 09, 2010

No Hands

It is not the famous No-Hands resturant in Bangkok. There are many myths and stories about the No-Hand resturant. You need not use your hands to eat. Or you are not to use your hands to touch the nude waitresses serving you...

No, no, no! I am talking about cycling. Yes, the unexciting and boring subject. I have learn to cycle with no hands. I know I fell off the bicycle before. I was trying to do the hop i.e. lifting the front wheel to hop over an obstacle or jump up a ledge.

I needed more challenge on cycling after recovering from my accident. Now I can cycle with no hands. I was always impressed by cyclists who cycled with no hands. I tried to learn by myself and nearly fell down many times.

The trick I realise is to sit with back straight on the saddle. Once the back is straight and head held high and look far, it is much easier to balance. Leaning back and shifting the CG or center of gravity as close to the rear axle not only stablise the bicycle, it also allows higher speed.

No comments: