Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Facing the Blank Page

It can be difficult to write at time. I always have to spend some time to figure out what to write. Most of what I write is boring. I will need to write, read and edit what I write in order to have a more readable and interesting blog. The Creative Habit is a good book to start on learning how to create from a blank page. The author is a choreographer who had won acclaimed awards for her work. She start with white empty dance hall with a ghetto blaster(portable CD player in Singaporean lingo). It is her job to fill the white emptiness with dance and music. She gave many suggestion to get the creative juices to work. It is hard disciplined work. No different from selling, management or leadership that I am currently involved in.

I am practising to write and face the "empty" page on my keyboard everyday. I made this a diary as it is easy for me to recall my day's activities and the books I read. While it is easy for me to write, it does not make interesting reading. Once in a while I write a winner which my friend Boh Tong will put it in his main blog. My readership will zoom up for many days. It is obvious his blog has plenty of pull and stickiness. Even when my article a few weeks old, visitors from Airlines Stories still come to read.

I may not be able to write much when I travel. So pictures are a short cut to writing. They says a picture is worth a thousand words. So when the day is long and time is lacking, I will let the camera do the writing.

No comments: