Saturday, July 04, 2009

Learned Something New from Chief Steward

I had an interesting conversation with the Chief Steward on the way back home via Airbus 380. The uniform of Stewards has changed. Before the change, it was easy for me to recognise the rank of Stewards. Cabin crews are uniformed group like Army and Police. There is a ranking and clear pecking order.
Light blue was Steward(bottom of the totem pole). Deep Navy Blue was Cabin Supervisor(Big Cheese!) Right now I just can't recall what were the other colours but I know it when I see them. It is Leading and Chief i.e. a total of 4 ranks, Steward, Leading Steward, Chief Steward and Supervisor. Boh Tong will be able to help me out here.
Today, all the Stewards wear the same colour jackets. Only tie colour determine the rank. I confess to the Chief Steward that I cannot recognised the ranks anymore with the tie. It is very easy, it actually follows the colour of Singapore Dollar Notes.
One Dollar(before becoming coin) was Blue in colour, Five Dollar is Green, Ten dollar is Red and Hundred Dollar brownish Purple. Now it became clear to me. True insight just like koan in Zen. The stewardess rank is exactly in the same colour order. With this system, I can tell right away the rank. I have the "flash"! Enlightenment!!

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

I can't tell the difference too,BL but that was very clever of u.

BookLover said...

It was from the Chief Steward. I cannot take credit. Maybe it is feng shui. I understand our government may believe in fengshui.