Sunday, June 28, 2009

Last Minute!

Is it just my boys? It is close to bed time and now all my boys are doing their holiday homework. Tomorrow is the start of school. 4 weeks of holidays and they have not done any homework that was supposed to be done during the holidays. Isn't this incredible?

Or it is just human nature to push everything to the last minute. In recalling my school days, I think I forgot to do holiday homework as well. Actually, only in Singapore holiday homework is required. In Canada, holiday is holiday. Your own free time to do whatever you like. No homework allowed. I think it is a good and REAL break. In Singapore, the first week of holiday my boys were recall back to school so that the teacher can catch up with the circulum. In Canada, if the teacher missed if the class is slow, there is not catch up. It is gone.

Good and bad. There are kids in Grade 10 and 11 our equivalent of Secondary 3 or 4, who cannot read or write properly. This sound incredible but the assessment tests actually put the literarcy rate of high school graduate at an appalling rate for basic reading and writing unlike Singapore. This is why Singapore education system is highly regarded.

No comments: