Monday, June 15, 2009

20% Discount in Kino Again

20% discount is here again. Sale will end at the end of June. I am disappoint that the book I wanted to buy is gone. Sometime waiting for the extra 10% may not be worth it.

Still, it is important to get a better deal. The lesson I learn is if there is only one copy left, do not wait for a higher discount.

On previous Sunday's Sunday Times, there is an article by an Indian columnist on judging city by its bookstores. I missed the article previously but read a letter by a reader. This reader and his wife frequent Kinokuniya and Borders. Recently to PageOne as well. I do the same as well.

After reading the article by the columnist, I realise I do what he does as well. I visit the biggest bookstores in all the cities I visited. In Taipei, there is a 24 hour bookshop right in downtown. In Bangkok, it is Kinokuniya and B2B. In KL, it is Borders and MPH in Midvalley and Borders in The Curve. In Shanghai, there is a 7 storey bookstore right near Hotel Renaissance. In Manila, it is National Bookstore. In Seoul, it is Buno Luni. In Sydney, it is Dymock.

For me, bookstores is where knowledge can be bought. I love reading and learning. So the bookstores it a good indicator of the city. And yes, Singapore is an excellent city.

No comments: