Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Silver of Mangrove Swamp

This morning in the library, I browse through a couple of books on aquarium. One had instructions on making a brackish water aquarium. I had a inspiration. The mangrove swamp in SengKang will be gone in a couple of years. There are plans in place to make it into fresh water reservoir. So I am inspired to bring a tiny silver of the swamp back home to observe.

First I dug out a few small mangrove seedlings as instructed together with the mud. Pour sand at the bottom of the aquarium and add brackish water. The water level is low and the sand rise up above the water for mudskippers and crabs to have both water and land. B3, our youngest boy caught a few mudskippers and two baby crabs. We brought them home and make a tiny mangrove swamp terrarium. It is very interesting. I hope my terrarium works!

No comments: