Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Swimming in the deep end

Mandarin Oriental has a deep end in the pool and I thought I will touch the bottom. In order to swim downwards, I have to release air in my lungs to reduce my bouyancy. Touching the bottom, I started to swim upwards. On the way up, my need for air was so high that instinctive I breathe before I reach the surface assuming I have surfaced when I had not. Water gets into my lungs and I choked and hurriedly swim to the ladder to cough out the water. I tried the floor again but this time touching only with my feet. Even so the water so deep that it is quite an effort to get all the way up to the surface. I realised how easy it is to drown. There is no way to make any noise and any one on the pool even lifeguards do not suspect anything.
So if you are swimming out in the open sea, it is even riskier with water currents and waves. Please remind all your kids. I am safe, I thought it is important to record this experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah the pool in your place is not deep enough rite?

BookLover said...

Notice a little sarcasm there:) The depth in Mandarin Manila is about 10 to 12 feet deep. It take a long time to get down. Being focus in getting down is a problem as getting up also take a long time. Must watch the half time of breath holding capability and get back up before passing the point of no return.

Anonymous said...

No la I don't mean any sarcasm but iwas trying to say u prefer deeper pool,thats all hehehe.