Saturday, June 28, 2008

Falling Forward

I read a new book. It is on Alexander technique. This is quite popular in England as the titles are all authored by Brits. Alexander is an actor who lost his voice and he seen many doctors and the doctors' prescription is rest. If he rest, he has no income. So he decide to observe himself. He can speak normally and only when he is acting that he lost his voice. He notices the tension in his neck muscles and trained himself to relax those muscles. He successfully cure his voice problem. He went on to look at posture and movement. Kids learn to walk by falling forward. So I remind myself to fall forward when I rollerblade. It works! Albeit, I did not dare to go fast. I can move from point to point. Slowly and without falling. I just need more practise. The challenge with learning this sport is alot of the muscles are weak with disuse. I am sore and my feet cramped after less than half an hour on wheels.
Anyone learning to skate or ski, please remember to fall forward.

3 comments:

Janette Tang said...

Whoa!! I didn't know Mr. BT rollerblades too =p

Probably,i should ave name you adventurous guy in my link and not booklover. Hahhahhh..

Janette Tang said...

I mean Mr.BL =D

BookLover said...

Aiya, still learning. I am a greenhorn when it come to roller anything, Janette. You are adventurous. Me? A guy trying to get fit and be young at the same time. Just reading your blog makes me feel young...