Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kylie Wong - The Australian Chef

I usually have the TV on while surfing the net. Right now, it is Kylie's cooking show. Kylie is Australian and speaks with a complete Australian accent. For the longest time since I started working, I have been exposed to many Chinese with different English accent. The first is Hong Kongers with their Cantonese laced accent. After that mostly I meet mostly Chinese who speaks with American accent. When I lived in Canada, all the kids speaks with Canadian accent. It is really interesting to see kids who speak Hong Kong cantonese and Canadian English fluently as my first impressions were my colleagues in Hong Kong speaking English like Cantonese. Then I work for a British company. Going to England for meeting, I was once served by a Chinese stewardess who speaks with British accent in British Airways. Now, I have talk to a Chinese customer who is totally Australian. Kylie Wong speaks Australian and her outlook and thinking is ozooing with Australian culture.
So what?! You may think. Chinese has emigrated to every corner of the globe. I agree. I noticed the change. Before the Chinese who lived in the country for years and years do not speak good English and if they do, they do not acquired the host country accent. They lived in Chinatowns and keep to themselves. A whole new generation Chinese have evolved where they are educated in the local schools acquiring the values, behaviours and outlook in their host country. They are bananas or potatoes, yellow outside and white inside.

No comments: