Sunday, March 02, 2008

Dinner with Me

Travelling on Sunday has lot of advantages as I discover today. The airport is not so busy. The queues are short everywhere i.e. Q for boarding pass, Q to check your boarding pass to enter immigration, Q for immigration clearance, then Q for security screening to enter the holding area at the gate, Q, Q, Q!
When I arrived the airport, my pickup was not there. After searching for 15mins, I gave up. I started to call people with numbers in my cellphone. Two did not pickup. Finally, Aida pick up and told me the name of the hotel. I was lucky as usual. Aida help me give directions to the taxi driver. When I arrived at the hotel, a few of my colleagues were at the lobby waiting to go for dinner. I decline their offer to join them as I rather have my room first. On the way to the hotel, I notices Tony Romas is nearby. I have decided to eat my favourite meal, bbq ribs.
The good thing about travelling is being alone, the bad thing about travelling is it can get lonely.
I had dinner with myself for company. It is interesting to observe myself eating dinner alone. First, I get distracted by other customers sitting beside me. There is big man with a tummy the size of a heavily pregnant sitting on the next table alone. I find it hard to decide on my choices and wish I have someone else with me allowing me to order more varieties of food. I could not decide whether to eat greens(salad) or drink soup. I also like potato skins. Finally, I decided to go for the creamy baked potato soup and half a slab of famous Tony Romas bbq baby back ribs.
The soup was full of potatoes and cream topped with cheese and chopped crispy bacon bits. It warms my soul to eat the soup. I was thinking to myself we should cook this kind of soup at home. Together with buttered warm minature french loaf, it is a comforting simple meal. I think I must teach my maid to cook thick western style soup. Other thoughts came to my mind. I always enjoys meals with my family and have our conversations. I realise while talking, I usually do pay attention to the taste of the food that is in my mouth. Eating alone, I savour all the different flavours and experience the texture and the warm taste of soup and bread. It is an interesting and enlightening experience. I also find the taste of the ribs is much better than Tony Romas in Shanghai or Singapore.
I find dinner with me enjoyable and resolve to have dinner date with myself again in my next trip.

No comments: