Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dictionaries

Oxford English Dictionary or OED is well know brand. I have an American dictionary, Webster and a Canadian dictionary as well. I thought I will get an OED today or an English dictionary since there is 25% discount in Times Bookstore. When I get there, there are so many other dictionaries like Cobuild, Longman, Collins, etc. The choices are bewildering because each brand offer seems to offer different things beside the meaning of words and the number of words it contains. Finally, I decide on Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary as the price is at a reasonable $31.40 nett (no discount). The reason I pick Cambridge over my original choice of OED is because there is a section on Idioms and CAL explains the meaning of English idioms. I find it is good to get the precise meaning of the idioms as it is succinct and add flavour to day-to-day communication. Now I have another tool to help me improve my English.

No comments: