Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Long Queue

It looks like some major is going to happen. Everyone is queuing to pump petrol. I had to send my mum to my sister's home. On the way back, I decided to detour to pump up petrol as I am not sure if the petrol stations will be open tomorrow. The queue was incredibly long. There was a 2nd long queue!! Everyone was queuing up to wash their cars. It cost $6 for this privilege. The car washing companies are making a killing. Looks like a good business opportunity. Hire some foreign worker, get car shampoo and a place with water point, hey presto....

Reunion dinner is a quiet affair for us. My mum came over this morning. She stayed with us the whole day. We had steamboat. At 5:45pm when I was relaxing at the poolside, my wife came over and told me to buy rice as she like our rice container to be full for CNY. This is a tradition. I tried Sheng Siong but it was closed. I heard the Giant's radio ad this morning. "Go to Giant for shopping after reunion dinner, it is open and it will be open tomorrow, carpark is free." So off to Giant. Yes, it really is still open. There are more Malays and Indians. A few Chinese like me are last minute shopper. Thank God for free enterprise.

I was explaining to my son that only in Chinese New Year does everything in Singapore shutdown except for Indian stalls, McDonald's, 7-elevens and hotels. Christmas and New Year, the big malls are closed but all hawker centers are open. This is show the Chinese presence in all the small businesses in Singapore and also show how hard workers they are.

The malls in KL are all opened during Chinese New Year. In this aspect, Malaysians are luckier than us.

Have a Fantastic RAT year.

No comments: