Sunday, February 10, 2008

Honest Singapore

Every year, Reader's Digest will conduct a survey of the honesty of the different cities in Asia. Singapore always come up in the top few. This morning I personally experience Honest Singapore.

I was enjoying my morning tea and breakfast in a coffee shop at Bishan. I ordered fishball noodles from Million Fishball. The coffee shop is opposite CPF building. It is early Sunday morning and there are not many patrons. I read my favorite newspaper Sunday Times leisurely. The author of "Towkay, Ho Sei Boh?" was featured. Sumiko Tan wrote why she dislike Hillary Clinton. I finished reading and decided time to go. As I was driving back toward AMK Central, I was thinking to myself maybe I should stop by AMK Hub to buy fresh food to cook lunch for my mum. I look for my wallet and it is not in my back pocket. Maybe, it is under the newspapers...I picked them up and look underneath and not there! Sh**! I told myself. I must be dropped it in the coffeeshop. Up in my mind, I begin to panic. I have to call all the credit cards companies to report lost cards, police station to file report for lost IC and driving licence.... I made a 180 degrees U-turn and go back to the coffeeshop. There was a man sitting on my seat and eating noodles. I approached him and ask if he has seen my wallet. He just stares back. Meanwhile the coffee lady who as nearby overheard my question and say "YES!" go to the counter. I hurried to the counter and spoke to the counter ladies. One of them take out my wallet and paused.

She asked "do you have your IC in there?" I said "yes!" She opens my wallet and hesitated as there are many cards. I pointed to her where to take. She looks unsure and seems uncomfortable to touch my wallet. So I took it and take out my driving licence for her to see. She take a look at my handsome picture and agree it looks like my face and gave me a nod. A wave of euphoria sweep into me. My emotions just went from panic and fear to happiness and joy. I check the cash and everything is intact.

I salute you! Singaporeans. I live in a honest city and country.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you shd reward the honest person who returned the wallet to you. No point just saluting!
Honesty lover

BookLover said...

How much should I reward? Will reward encourage undesirable expectations that honesty become no longer altruistic?

Anonymous said...

Someone returned me my wallet and made the effort to look for me via my bank. Haha, glad that I could get back my wallet. Indeed there are many honest Singaporeans around.

BookLover said...

SL, your case is even stronger. Not only honest, also go extra mile to return. Kudos to Singaporeans!!

Anonymous said...

My school took this article as an example of Integrity. And yeah, I think that you should reward that lady. :)