Monday, December 03, 2007

What happened to Books?

I am reading more these days. However, I have not wrote about them recently. This blog has become my diary. I want to write more about the books. Boh Tong, my fellow blogger describes this blog as a Book Lover's Blog. I have been neglecting my passion. No! I have been negligent in reporting on the books I have been reading.

I just finished reading "A Class with Peter Drucker" by William Cohen. The book is on the lost lessons of Peter Drucker. Drucker wrote a lot of articles on many subjects. Cohen is a doctoral student taught personally by Drucker. There are quite a few things that Peter did not write in which he transmits directly. It is the like Kungfu movie where the master has to pass the secret to a special student who will take over his place in the martial arts school.

I realise I do not make a lot of sense to some people especially in a group meeting. I talk in riddles. This is because I do not give people the background and jump straight to the point confusing people in the process. Peter Drucker is the same. He asks the right questions for his consulting work. He only tell you what to do through his questions. However, he does not tell you how. The most famous example was told by Jack Welch. Jack was just made CEO of GE. He consulted Peter Drucker and Peter asked him two questions. First "If you are not in this business will you get into this business?" 2nd "If you are, what are you are you going to do about it?".

With the two questions, Jack Welch came up with the Number 1 or Number 2 strategy. He increased GE market cap by many times.

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Yes,your blog is and will always be a booklover's blog.People who loves books are encourage to visit your blog:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, BT! You are very encouraging. I will increase content level on books. BL