Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Consumate Reader

In line with my moniker, booklover, I like to write about books I am currently reading. I usually have several books on the go. I read before sleeping and in the toilet...yes, right! in the toilet and whenever I am on the plane. Flying allows me to catch up on my reading. However, nowadays new movies compete for my attention. I usually watch the latest movies in the air.

I am still trying to complete The Future of Management by Gary Hamel. Hamel has a "black eye" over his previous book "Leading the Revolution". His quoted how revolutionary, creative and capable Enron was and the tremendous increase in sales and market value of the company Enron. We all know Enron was falsified their financial records and the company is no longer in existence. Leading the Revolution is a good read and very motivational. I remember a colleague in Canada telling me we should start a revolution in the company. We thought the company we work for was risk averse and totally uncreative.

The other book at my bedside is The Art of Possibilities. I read the positive review of this book by Straits Times. This book has interesting perspective and it is a good way for us to look at ourselves and others. The art of possible explore ways to get things done and not take ourself too damned seriously. I like the example of a Taiwanese student. He is 76th of 78 student in his class in Taiwan. In Boston, he is an "A" student. Nothing has change except the label. He prefers to be the "A" student rather than the bottom 3rd. With the change in mindset, he work hard and perform extremely well.

I will save to talk about the other books next time:)

No comments: