Saturday, October 20, 2007

Goddess of Mercy

Since last Sunday, I wanted to go to temple in Queen Street for regular "fix". It is uncomfortable for me if I do not visit and put in my regular donation. I am glad the whole family went. B1 was in school for his homecoming and joined us after lunch in Bugis Junction. So before going home, I brought B1 to pray as well. I realised our kids just follow our actions. I think back of the time when I was a kid and watching my mother pray. My father was an atheist. I grew up not comfortable praying especially since I find little comfort in burning of paper money. When my mother make me pray, I just go through the motion without understanding why or how.

I grew up worshipping science. My ambition as a student was to be a scientist and work in Bell Laboratory. Thomas Alva Edison was my hero. I wanted to be an inventor like him. Somehow as I grew older and start working, all my childhood dreams and ambition fad. Early in my career, climbing ladder was important. Then the priority change to earning more money especially after marriage and kids come along. Along the way, hard knocks in life make me realise life is not just having a job or earning a living.

I find prayers and regular donations are helpful to lift spirits and heal the soul. Maybe I am getting wiser with age. Maybe I realise there are more to life than material wealth. Or maybe I have no worries on basic needs that I am free to pursue higher needs. Whatever it is, I always feel much better after praying. So it is a good day today just praying to Goddess of Mercy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to pray to Goddess of Mercy at waterloo road. I just feel a sense of peace after that. gsl

Anonymous said...

SL, it is the same place. Waterloo Street is the opposite side of Middle Rd. Yah, I like the peaceful after effect of my visits. BL