Sunday, June 10, 2007

Catching Birds by Hand

As we were walking back to the car park at AMK Ave 1 and Ave 10 junction market, we saw two mynah birds hopping about. Mynah birds are very common and is every where especially where leftovers and food scraps are available.

I notices the birds were hopping away and expect them to fly away as we get closer. I saw both cannot fly well. So I caught one of them by hand. B1 was worried "daddy, they may have bird flu?" The birds did not look sick. They just cannot fly well. With one bird on my hand, I ran after the other and catch it with my free hand. B3 was excited. He wanted bird seeds to make a bird feeder. Our trip to buy bird seed ended with two live birds! B1 wanted me to leave the birds alone. At their current conditions, the birds will not survived too long. Cats will hunt them down and eat them up. I have seen a cat catching adult mynah before.

We went to buy a bird cage immediately and put them in a cage to bring them home. We will let them grow strong so that they can fly and release them when they are ready. Hopefully, they survived. We had tried to save a baby yellow mynah before from crows. Unfortunately the yellow mynah died. This time the birds looked more mature and I hope they can eat by themselves.

No comments: