Thursday, March 01, 2007

Tokyo - the most crowded city on earth

My good friend and fellow blogger request I give an update on my trip. Everything he links me up, my readership goes up. So here is my tribute to his kindness.

The temperature is Tokyo is cool at around 8 degrees celcius. It is bearable cold. In Japan, the cities are full of man-made structure. Unlike Singapore, there is hardly any green except for tiny patches of grass. The buildings connect from one another seamlessly. It can be very confusing as the floor tile does not change over from one building to another. It is a concrete jungle out here with skyscapers everywhere. To confuse visitors further, the buildings do not have signs on top. Looking for my hotel became a major challenge as there are no identifiable landmark to guide me. The buildings are shaped slightly. All are straight-edge and just like an American who have trouble distinguishing Chinese and Japanese, I have the same trouble trying to notice the minute detail differences between the building. Heading back to my hotel became a chore.

Lunch was a standard Japanese fare. Cost 1,000 yen for 3 slices of pork with finely shredded cabbage, miso soup with taupok, some pickles and a wedge of grapefruit garnish with two tiny strawberry.

I had meeting with a company interested to do business with us. So they asked my colleague and I out for dinner. This is the benefit of travelling - wine and dine. They took us to a yakitori resturant. The resturant name is called "ti chi" in Hanyi or Chinese. Literal translation "ground chicken". I think we order one of every barbeque item in the menu. Chicken meat, chicken wings with a lemon wedge, liver, gizzard, chicken butt(backside), breastbone and a couple other items that I cannot identify. The food was sumptious and delicious. (Shxx! I just remembered I am supposed to be on diet as I write this article). For dessert, I had gluttinous rice balls on a bed of sweet red beans paste. Mmmm! I wish I can tell you how much the meal cost. Unfortunately, my hosts paid for the meal (I really meant it because BT asked me to give you prices.)

Feeling guilty, I decided to walk around the train station to get rid of some calories I just ingested. People everywhere walking purposely from point to point. There were a couple of homeless men wandering about. It is easy to tell. Their hair were unkempt, beard long, clothing dirty and the signature body odour that hit you when you are about five feet away from them.

Tokyo is a very safe city with very little traffic jams. What is missing is nature. I wish it has more nature. This would make great megacity Tokyo greater.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is refreshing to read your article on Tokyo.Enjoy it very much.Keep coming.
Suaku S'porean :)

BookLover said...

SK, thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Please keeping reading and dropping a note for me. This is great feedback for me.