Saturday, January 13, 2007

Water Feature

I have a rectangular water feature in my front yard. I designed it with long sump so that water can flow in and out of this oblong shaped pond. Pictures of water features always fascinates me. So my deal with The Wife is outside the home is my territory and inside she has full authority. I am lying to you and myself if you believe this deal hold water. She has strong influence over the outside as well. Anyway, I get my pond.

My first design did not work well. It required lots of maintenance. Cleaning up the sump or the pump is a major project, a back breaking job. So we discard the sump and have just the pond. Soon the pond has lot of algae. The water pump now needs to be cleaned every two days. I have also added some water lily and this makes the water even dirtier. My intent is to have a micro-ecological system. Women folks do not like nature. So the grumbles soon turns in pressure to clean up my act. Finally, I bought a pond filter that have a specs of 5,000 litres per hour with in-built UV lamp to kill off the algae. Cost me S$360. Way over specs too but the store owner convince me that it is better to filter system can handle our tropical climate as the sun has strong effects on the growth of algae. I install the system DIY way. Today, I completed my project with a water sprouting out from rectangular rock stack. It is really nice to sit and watch water flowing out and listening to water falling into the pool. It is very relaxing. A sense of accomplishment. A concrete and visible achievement.

Do-it-yourself, the best prescription for wellness.

No comments: