Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Santa Claus is coming to Town

I love Christmas. Weather is cool, festive spirits in the air and carols, Christmas carols. Growing up in Singapore Christmas is a commercial activity. The malls are loaded up with trees, lights, decorations and since it is December it is usually wet. However the wet weather does not dampen the spirits.

Living in Canada change my perception of Christmas. It is time for giving, for rejoicing, for Thanksgiving, for family and friends. It is a time for celebrations, parties and food(weight watching time!). Giving presents and receiving presents. I appreciate Christmas as much as Chinese New Year. During Christmas break, it is nice to stay at home by the warm fire watching tv and snow falls. The break is 10 days until New Year on the 2nd. Boxing Day (26 Dec) Sales, Midnight Madness and other malls programs are interesting. A consummate booklover, I love to go to Chapters(Canadian version of Borders) and read in Starbucks beside a fireplace.

I also remembers before Ngee Ann City was built, it was a green slope. There will be a temporary pramid platform built and choirs from the different Churches will schedule different evening to sing the Christmas carols. Sweet memories of the good ole days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Christmas too esp during my school days. No homework, can sleep late, lots of good food and presents. Last time we had Christmas celebration with my aunties and uncles. Sob, now no more bcos they have kids. But now, I either spend the season with my cousin or stay at home and read lor.

BookLover said...

Life change. One chapter closes and another chapter opens. Christmas spirit is much stronger in Canada and more meaningful as the weather is cold outside and family and friends warm inside just like what is described in literature and stories we read during school days.